Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Making the change

I stepped on the scale today and I'm down four pounds, very encouraging! It's hard to stay focused and motivated if you don't see results, so seeing the numbers go down really helps me to stay on track. 







I've been trying to get out and walk with my girlfriend in the morning and of course have been watching what I eat...there is simply no way around that. My plan is to turn the walking into running, and as far as the food goes....I've been keeping things varied and flavourful. Nothing worse than eating the same thing everyday because you know the calorie content....boring. I put together this little yummy bit for breakfast. It's tasty and keeps me full until lunch. An english muffin with one scrambled egg, a little bit of avocado and some salsa and fresh cracked pepper. Very tasty and with the avocado and salsa there is no need for butter which is super calorie laden.



Lunch has been salad with some kind of protein...tuna, some leftover chicken from dinner the night before, deli meat etc.. I load the salad with chopped veggies and vary the greens...romaine is always good and crunchy, or I found these Organic Girl salad mixes at Wal Mart. They are prewashed and organic and I can get a good five salads out of them. They are also cheap at only $3.47 per tub.





Dinner has been from a variety of websites online (what did we ever do before the internet??) and always starts with a big glass of water so I'm not tempted to go for seconds. I always crave something sweet after dinner and I've found that brushing my teeth seems to help that a lot.

Snacks have been fruit, and a lot of it. I know that fruit is sugary but it has been better than the alternative. I also really enjoy Kashi's dark chocolate and dried cherry granola bars. They are low in sugar and really make me feel like I've had a good snack.

I have really struggled to get my sugar cravings under control this last week. I think it's because I've been eating so much Halloween candy and am used to having a little bit here and there over the course of the day. The first day back on track I was craving it so bad and did everything to distract myself...running errands, walking, housework and by the end of the day I was insane for it. I had two mini chocolate bars and felt amazing afterwards. Isn't that crazy?? Sugar really is addicting. In fact I looked up some information about it online and read about a test they did with rats that gave them the choice between sugar and cocaine and they consistently chose the sugar water over the cocaine...even when they continued to raise the cocaine levels! That's scary...
I'm doing better with the sugar this week so far and part of that probably has to do with PMS'ing last week too, but I'm determined to get it under control.

I went out for late night impromptu screening of Skyfall in the IMAX theatre last night and it was awesome! I highly recommend it. I didn't get home until 1:30, and didn't get into bed until 2, but it was worth it. I had been waiting for this movie for a long time and it did not disappoint. Thanks Kathleen for the company...I'm sure you're dragging your butt today too, but at least we are doing it together. ;)

Time for some new music:

Nicki Minaj - Va Va Voom - love this song, super catchy
RED HANDS - Walk off the Earth - iTunes freebie this week...love it!
John Mayer - Queen of California - only .69 on iTunes right now, really reminds me of James Taylor.


And finally...this just made me laugh out loud:


Have a good week!

3 comments:

  1. I can't stop talking about Skyfall! Thanks again for the movie date last night, it was a brilliant film! I'm a tired this AM? Well, against my better Judgement.. I did not go back to bed after horse chores this AM... I actually should have kept my walking plans with you.. tomorrow we hit the trail! ; ) Right now, i'm having a well deserved nap with my Frenchie... which reminds me, I very much enjoyed your driving skills last night.. I commented to The Englishman how you drive not unlike a Parisian cabbie.. he was well impressed.. lol! :D
    Cheers,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, you are so funny...I didn't want to be late for the film so was determined to get us there on time, a feat I accomplished. ;P
      I feel pretty good today, got lots done at home...maybe I need to go without sleep more often?? lol

      Delete
  2. I know that this is a super old post, but I'm really into fitness and nutrition. I have not read recent posts as I was looking for your Pinterest Reviews and stumbled upon your weight loss journey. Fruit has natural sugar and you should not be afraid to eat it and lots of it. Natural sugar is not bad for you and gives you a boost of energy and should level out your sugar cravings. You should only limit fruit intake when you are winding down for bed because, well, it'll keep you awake.

    ReplyDelete